Read our tips to make perfect hard-boiled and soft-boiled eggs every single time. Learn the easy tricks to peel the eggshell and get vibrant yellow yolks.
One of the most common issues with hard-boiled eggs is that we overcook them. The result is a change of taste and texture. Overboiling changes the yolk color to dark green and adds a weird sulphuric flavor. Well, that is not appealing to even kids and adults.
I always prefer eating hard-boiled eggs. What’s there that a boiled egg doesn’t fit into? Use them in egg salad, eat dippy eggs in luscious gravy or simply sprinkle salt and pepper over it as a nutritious snack. A perfect ingredient to cook on the go.
“A recent research reveals that the egg yolks in boiled eggs raise the healthy cholesterol level in the body. Also, they are a good source of lean protein and are filled with amino acids.”
Boiling eggs to perfection is an art. I personally find it extremely challenging. As I always end up with either overcooking or boiling is not perfect enough. So, unleashing the various methods that I tried to make perfect hard-boiled eggs without any fuss. Get ready to say goodbye to dry, overcooked or undercooked, weird chalky egg yolks.
Pro Tip: “Older eggs are easier to peel than fresh eggs. So, if you are planning to boil eggs for a party, always choose at least a week-old eggs.”
Method 1: How to Boil Eggs on a Gas Stove?
Follow this super-easy method for boiling eggs in 4-simple steps for perfect soft-boiled or hard-boiled eggs.
- 6 raw eggs
- Cook time: 2 minutes
- Serving: 3-4 people
Step 1: Steam Eggs in Saucepan with water
- Add about a quarter of cold water to the saucepan.
- Carefully Keep the eggs at the bottom layer of the saucepan.
- Make sure eggs are not crowded & covered with at least two inches of water.
Step 2: Allow the Pot to Heat on a high flame
- Add 1 / 2 teaspoon of salt to easy-peel the eggs and avoid cracks.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of Vinegar to prevent egg whites from coming out of the cracks.
- Wait for the water to boil to a full roll.
Step 3: Turn off the gas stove
- Lower the temperature of the gas stove for about a minute
- Now turn off the heat and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Let the eggs sit in hot water for another 10 minutes.
Note: If you like your eggs a little less cooked or want a translucent yolk, take them out after 5-6 minutes.
Step 4: Strain the Water & Pour Cold Water
- Use a strainer or a slotted spoon to take out the eggs.
- Run the cold water over the eggs to stop further cooking.
- Now peel the eggs to eat or store them in a tight cover container; it’s up to you.
Note: Consume the eggs within 5 days to prevent odor in your refrigerator.
Method 2: How to hard boil eggs in the oven?
The easiest way to boil eggs with zero water. A healthy and smart choice when you are in a rush and your kitchen is already occupied. Now see, how to get hard-boiled eggs right from the oven?
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Celcius.
- Use a cupcake tin to place the eggs firmly.
- Keep the eggs in the oven for at least 30 minutes.
- Wait until the eggshell turns brown.
- Take out the eggs and immediately pour them into the ice-cold water
Duh-dah! Your eggs are ready to serve. Spring some salt, pepper, and oregano for the best test ever.
Also Check: How To Make Coffee Without Coffee Maker?
Method 3: How to Boil Eggs using Egg Cookers?
If you ask me, I’ll say it’s the most efficient, time-saving, and perfect way to cook eggs. A range of the best egg cookers is available in online stores or in local markets. Let’s quickly read the procedure to cook your yummy licious eggs in this home appliance.
- Pour the cold water to the level required for 4, 6, or 12 eggs.
- Take the egg holder and place your eggs on the base.
- Cover the cooker with a lid.
- Remove the lid when you hear a sound.
And, your eggs are ready to serve and eat.
Common asked questions about Boiling Eggs
I have tried to answer all the queries on this page. Check if you have ever faced such issues?
For how many minutes should I boil my eggs?
- Soft Boiled Eggs with translucent yolk – 4 to 6 mins max
- Soft but set eggs with firm egg yolks- 6 to 8 mins max
- Hard-Boiled Eggs with solid yellow yolk – 8 to 12 mins max
Rest it also depends on the size of your egg, pot, and heat flame. Smaller eggs take less time, and jumbo-eggs would need some more time.
Can I still eat the cracked egg whites while boiling?
It happens with almost everyone. Let me tell you that eggs are edible in every form. I prefer to discard them.
Why my egg yolks are green and dull yellow in color?
Don’t worry! It’s just because of over boiling, but you can still eat them.
Why peeling eggs is not smooth sometimes?
It’s because they are fresh and eggshell is hard. You can simply add 1 teaspoon of baking soda or vinegar to the boiling water.
Want to become an Eggs-pert?
Follow my secret steps to cook the hard-boiled eggs perfectly. These tips will make the peeling process much easier, whether you are boiling a few or a dozen eggs for lunch or dinner.
- Always add vinegar and salt to the water.
- If possible, use a week or two older eggs for best results.
- An Ice bath immediately after cooking will maintain the vibrant yellow color.
- Adding a lemon wedge while boiling the eggs helps falling-off the eggshells when they are done.
Nutritional Value (1 serving ):
Protein- 6gm | Fat- 5gm| Carbs- 0|Calories- 72| Calcium-27gm| Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 67mg | Potassium- 61mg|Vitamin A: 238IU | Sugar-1gm